- Enclose with " for exact match e.g., "uitable report"
- Explicit multi-threading in Matlab – part 3
- Explicit multi-threading in Matlab – part 2
- Explicit multi-threading in Matlab – part 1
- Improving Simulink performance
- Undocumented button highlighting
- Assessing Java object size in Matlab
- Serializing/deserializing Matlab data
- MathWorks blogs facelift
- 2013 perspective & plans for 2014
- Accessing private object properties
- Class object creation performance
- Plotly graphs
- sprintfc – undocumented helper function
- Performance: accessing handle properties
- Listbox layout customization
- Desktop (32)
- Figure window (34)
- Guest bloggers (39)
- GUI (105)
- Handle graphics (48)
- Hidden property (32)
- Icons (7)
- Java (126)
- Listeners (16)
- Memory (12)
- Mex (8)
- Presumed future risk (246)
- Semi-documented feature (6)
- Semi-documented function (31)
- Stock Matlab function (92)
- Toolbox (2)
- UI controls (36)
- Uncategorized (8)
- Undocumented feature (115)
- Undocumented function (27)
TagsActiveX Callbacks COM Compiler Desktop Donn Shull Editor FindJObj GUI GUIDE Handle graphics HG2 Hidden property HTML Icons Internal component Java JavaFrame JIDE JMI keyboard Listener Malcolm Lidierth Matt Whitaker MCOS Memory Menubar Mex Performance Profiler Pure Matlab schema schema.class schema.prop scribe Semi-documented function Toolbar uicontrol UIInspect uitable uitools uiundo Undocumented feature Undocumented function Undocumented property
- Yair Altman (4 hours 15 minutes ago): @Chris – I’m not sure what happened in your case but why use a button control at all? you can use an invisible axes, similar to my “buttons” in this...
- Yair Altman (4 hours 17 minutes ago): @Raj – I do not think that this is supported in a single-line editbox, but you can always use a multi-line editbox or listbox.
- Yair Altman (4 hours 18 minutes ago): I do not know of a way to integrate .NET controls in Matlab figures, but I’m guessing that this may be a solved problem in the Java world. So if you find a way to...
- Yair Altman (4 hours 20 minutes ago): @Sandro – I would be happy to provide you with my professional consulting services via email. Send me an email via the link at the top-right of this page if you are...
- Sandro (3 days 1 hour ago): I’m trying to insert an icon like in your post, but I can not. Could you send by email an example that is running? ie, for me to do ctrl+c ctrl+v. So I will be able to...
- Chris (3 days 3 hours ago): Hi Yair, thanks for all the great help! I read your instruction of changing the border of a button, but it did’nt work. I want to create a button in a matlab gui with an image...
- Raj (3 days 6 hours ago): Hey Yair, I’ve got a question. Your Text Selection Method works fine! I’ve tried make a search function for my editbox so it can mark(select) every word he found. But the...
- CitizenInsane (4 days 10 hours ago): Hi! This is great and inspirative work. Is it possible to perform a ‘reset property value to default’ with jide grid controls?. I was thinking of using .NET...
- Ayantha (4 days 13 hours ago): Thanks Yair,It worked. For some unknown reason, it didn’t work with an inbuilt example of Matlab. But it worked fine with my own code. Thanks again and keep your good work...
- Yair Altman (5 days 3 hours ago): @Jacques – use the old (pre-2008a) uitable, which returns the Java object directly
- Jacques (5 days 4 hours ago): Hello Yair, I am using your findjobj function in my code to resize the row headers of 3 uitable elements (on the same page). It has helped me a lot but it takes a significant time...
- Magu_ (6 days 11 hours ago): Thank you for your answer. This is very neat I didn’t know that exist. I did it for the fieldnames but failed for methods so far. “methods” seems to behave...
- Yair Altman (8 days 3 hours ago): @Magu – try to implement hidden methods fieldnames and/or methods in your class. The first is for properties, the second is for methods.
- Yair Altman (9 days 4 hours ago): @Darin – y.setHorizontalTextPosition(ja vax.swing.SwingConstants.LEFT) ; This is covered both in my book and my uicontrols customization report.
- Darin (10 days 0 hours ago): Hi Yair, Thanks, this info is very helpful! (Even 3+ years later ) When I used the code on a pushbutton, it centered the icon… and had the text centered as well. I tried using...
Search Results for: gui179 relevant articles found:
…nity to explain the problem and the workaround, before my senility takes over and I forget again… The symptom – Matlab hangs The symptom is easily detectable: you’re happily working on your favorite Matlab GUI application, when suddenly some modal dialog window appears – perhaps a msgbox, a questdlg or an inputdlg. After clicking the <OK> button, Matlab seems to freeze, and any attempt to close the window or to sto… Continue reading
Advanced Matlab training courses/seminars will be held in London, March 10-14, 2014. Two separate courses will be held: Advanced Matlab Programming – 2 days (March 10-11), including best practices, preparing professional reports, writing professional code and performance tuning. US$1199 Advanced Matlab Visualization & GUI – 3 days (March 12-14), including advanced visualization and GUI techniques. US$1799 Enroll to both courses… Continue reading
uitable is probably the most complex basic GUI controls available in Matlab. It displays data in a table within a figure, with settable properties as with any other Matlab Handle-Graphics (HG) control. After many years in which the uitable was available but semi-documented and not officially supported in Matlab, it finally became fully documented and supported in R2008a (aka Matlab 7.6). At that time its internal implementation has changed from… Continue reading
…either directly or because its container was resized. ComponentShownCallback – fired when the component is displayed (setVisible(true)). Compare: ComponentHiddenCallback FocusGainedCallback – fired when the component gains GUI focus, by mouse click, Tab click, or calling the component’s requestFocus() method. FocusLostCallback – fired when the component loses focus to another component or window. Compare: FocusGainedCallback Hierarchy… Continue reading
When designing Matlab applications, we can either use Matlab’s designer (guide), or manually position each GUI component programmatically, using its Position property. Matlab lacks the layout managers so common in Java, that enable easy relative component positioning, taking into account dynamic container size, components spacing weights etc. Of course, we can always trap the container’s ResizeFcn callback to update our layout, but d… Continue reading
One of my consulting clients approached me yesterday with a mystery: In his GUIDE-generated GUI, one of the buttons had a bluish tint, and no obvious property seemed to control this or to differentiate it from its sibling controls. Here’s a parred-down version of his GUI: Highlighted GUI button So while it was very nice to have a highlighted button in this manner, the fact that he did not know why it happened and how to control it was a bi… Continue reading
…to download this demo from the Matlab File Exchange and reuse its source code. Java’s SpinnerDemo My Matlab SpinnerDemo As can be seen from the screenshot, SpinnerDemo also demonstrates how to attach a label to a GUI control with an associated accelerator key (Alt-D in the screenshot example, which sets the focus to the Date control). An internal component in Matlab, namely com.mathworks.mwswing.MJSpinner, extends javax.swing.JSpinne… Continue reading
Continuing last week’s article on customized combo-boxes (a.k.a. popup menus or drop-downs), today I discuss how we can use JIDE‘s vast array of custom professional combo-boxes in our Matlab GUI. As I’ve already noted here in several articles, Matlab heavily uses JIDE’s library of GUI controls for its own GUI (Desktop, Editor etc.) and we can tap into this wealth of components in our own GUI. I’ve recently shown an… Continue reading
Once again, I welcome guest writer Takeshi (Kesh) Ikuma. Last week, Kesh described how Java’s Robot class can be used to automate Matlab GUI. Today, Kesh will describe two Matlab utilities that help this automation process. jMouseEmu and inputEmu are both available on the Matlab File Exchange. There is a large overlap between these utilities. As their name suggests, jMouseEmu is geared to control the mouse, while inputEmu emulates both mo… Continue reading
Last week, I explained how a browser control can be integrated in Matlab GUI applications. Sometimes we only need to display simple HTML, for which a full browser seems like overkill. Moreover, we may wish to edit the displayed contents, which cannot be done using the browser control. The solution is to use a standard Java Swing JEditorPane control, which is an editable HTML-aware control. Oddly enough, it was only yesterday that Mikhail, a know… Continue reading